Exit website

Rape and abuse

If you or someone you know has been assaulted, there are various services which can provide confidential help.

If you have concerns about an adult, child or young person who you think may have been abused, please contact the police or report the issue to Social Services.

Sexual assault and rape

Sexual assault, or sexual violence, happens when someone touches another person in a sexual manner without their consent, or when someone makes another person take part in a sexual activity without their consent. This includes rape and other forms of sexual contact.

People who have been sexually assaulted should attend a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) immediately for urgent medical attention, in case of STIs and pregnancy.

SARCs offer medical, practical and emotional support to victims of sexual assault, irrespective of age, gender, or whether the incident is reported or not to the police.

Specially trained nurses, doctors and support workers are involved in caring for victims, which includes an assessment and medical treatment.

Find your nearest SARC here.

You are not alone. Sexual violence affects 1 in 4 women and 1 in 8 men.

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse isn’t just physical violence. If someone is manipulating their partner or another family member into doing things they don’t want to do, or has threatening or controlling behaviour, then this could be a sign of an unhealthy relationship.

Financial and emotional abuse are also forms of domestic abuse.

If you are affected by domestic abuse, or you suspect someone else may be affected, you can call the police or the National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

Further support

Further support is available from various organisations, who can be contacted for support or specialist medical attention.